Friday, June 22, 2007

Basil Martinis

I recently went to San Francisco and had the best cocktail I've had in Years at Scala's Bistro in the Sir Francis Drake hotel. I sat at the bar taking in the chic yet cozy décor and noticed the drink special board mounted to my right. The chalky scribbles offered Cosmopolitans, Lemon Drops, and a myriad of other popular libations, but the one that stood out to me was the Basil Martini. I am always intrigued by creative uses for herbs and spices, especially when alcohol is involved. This time was no different.

I found this drink to be refreshing in more ways than one. It was pleasing to the pallet, light and clean. It was also a breath of fresh air to have such a simply made and sophisticated drink. Had I not known it was basil going in, it would have been difficult for me to place the sweet, spicy notes that I was falling in love with all over again. It was, dare I say, dangerously delicious. I could have had three without thinking twice.

Enjoy!

Basil Martini

3 large, fresh sweet basil leaves
1/2 oz simple syrup
2 oz Kettle One vodka
juice from 1/2 lime
1 small basil leaf for garnish (if desired. I prefer not to have it. I don't like anything between my drink and me)

Place the basil leaves in a pint glass, fill with ice and add the simple syrup. Muddle gently to just bruise the leaves and release the aromas. Add vodka and fresh-squeezed lime juice. Shake well and serve in a chilled martini glass.

Note: I have had other variations of this drink; with Citron vodka or with sweet & sour instead of the simple syrup and fresh lime juice, etc., but I have found the above recipe to be the purest and most pleasing rendition.

No comments: