Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Stone Fruit Chocolate Sauce

I recently had a craving for something sweet and had no dough to go out to get something decadent. So I stumbled into the kitchen to see what I could find. The only sweet things I could find were some vanilla ice cream, butter, granulated sugar, a jar of Hot Fudge sauce, and Trader Joe’s balsamic vinaigre. I also had to some white wine that I had bought at the convenience store downstairs and some fruit to contribute to the late-night sweet tooth concoction. What I came up with was surprisingly good, and I can’t wait to try it again!


Stone Fruit Chocolate Sauce

2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 pieces of stone fruit (I used a small plumb and a nectarine)
2 tbsp white wine
1 tsp balsamic vinaigre
2 tbsp Hot Fudge sauce
1 tbsp butter


Cut the fruit into ½ inch pieces and discard the stones. (It doesn’t have to be pretty; it’ll all cook down in the end) Set aside. Sprinkle the sugar in a pan and turn the burner on high. The sugar will begin to liquefy and caramelize quickly so don’t walk away. Stir the dry sugar into that which has begun to turn into liquid to make sure it cooks evenly.

When the sugar becomes a golden color, add the cut fruit with as much of the juice as possible. (Stand back! That pan is hot! It may splatter a bit.) Cook the mixture for a minute or two to let the juices reduce by about half. After that, reduce the heat to medium-high and add the vinaigre, wine, and chocolate sauce. Stir well to incorporate the chocolate sauce. Again, let this simmer and reduce to thicken. Stir in the butter to finish then set aside to cool for a couple of minutes so it doesn’t melt the ice cream too much. Serve over ice cream and enjoy with some of the same convenience-store wine.

Happy summer!

No comments: